Whole Body Vibration Forum

Can WBV improve bal...

Notifications
Clear all

[Sticky] Can WBV improve balance and mobility?

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Becky Chambers
(@becky)
Active Member Admin
Topic starter

A recent and very large systematic review of WBV and human gait analyzed forty-six clinical trials involving a total of 2,029 patients (Fischer, 2019). Looking at several measures of gait—such as the “Timed Up-and-Go” (TUG) test, the “six-minute walking test” (6MWT), and the “ten-meter walking test” (10MWT), among others—they analyzed the combined data from studies mostly with postmenopausal women and the elderly. Also included were studies on people who had strokes, MS, other neurological conditions, knee osteoarthritis, and/or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), and
children with a several different pathologies. 

After analyzing all the data, they concluded that WBV had some positive results, especially for otherwise healthy elderly people. For this population, there was a “strong level of evidence that WBV can improve mobility by improving the TUG test, and gait speed by improving the 10MWT” (Fischer, 2019). Translated, this means that WBV training can help balance and gait speed in the elderly (Fischer, 2019). This did not include “gait quality” for the elderly—so you will get there quicker, though you still may not be graceful.

A recent Amazon review (verified purchase) of the VH Power 1000 machine: Before my purchase of any whole body vibration machine, I first read both of Becky's books so I could be an informed buyer. Per her advice I started out just sitting in a chair with my feet on vibration machine for 30 seconds. This was due to my age (73) and loss of balance and 6 falls in 6 months. As I slowly increased the time I recently have been able to stand on it for 10 minutes per day. That progress took from June to September. In the past two weeks I have been able to walk around without my cane. It is wonderful to regain what I thought was lost. I expect continued improvement as I continue using it. Do your research and do use the machine, you won't be sorry. Donna Fought

Your thoughts? Questions? What has your experience been?

Fischer M, et al., “Long-Term Effects of Whole-Body Vibration on Human Gait: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis,” Frontiers in Neurology 10 (June 19, 2019): 627, doi:0.3389/fneur.2019.00627.

This topic was modified 4 years ago 2 times by Becky Chambers

Posted : 09/02/2020 4:34 pm
(@only10)

I was curious about the testimonial quote about improving balance.  ("Per her advice I started out just sitting in a chair with my feet on vibration machine for 30 seconds").  I would like more detailed advice.  My balance issues stem from a bad back that laid me up for about 5 months.  This put my muscles lacking in tone and weak from little use.  I'm having real trouble with stairs and just unable to trust my balance in general.   If you still recommend starting in the seated position, what settings should be used?  I am new to the machine, and although I know you do not recommend them, I have a 2 motor machine which can be used with just one.  Also, what setting should be used when I feel ready to start standing on the machine?

Posted : 25/02/2020 7:26 pm
Becky Chambers
(@becky)
Active Member Admin
Topic starter

Hi only10, how much vibration you should start with depends on your level of health - if you are older and more fragile in general, not just your muscles and joints, but your internal organs and energy level, then you may need to start with a very small amount of vibration. WBV has a very powerful effect on your entire body, calling on it to work harder - from detoxing to a muscle workout - this extra work is both good for you and a form of stress. When your body is already stressed, too much extra stress can make you worse instead of better. So i don't know how old you are or your level of health. Safest thing to do is start with just a little vibration - maybe 30-60 seconds at the lowest speed setting, sitting next to the machine with just your feet on it, and see how you feel over the next 24 hours. As long as you feel ok or better the next day it would be ok to increase the amount. Always watch how YOU are reacting to the vibration - and over the next 24 hours as detox and overdoing it stress reactions can happen anytime over the next 24 hours. The amount of vibration a person can tolerate varies greatly. You have to stay aware of how you react and adjust accordingly. Get up to at least ten minutes sitting before trying to stand. And when you try standing, use the lowest speed settings.

Posted : 25/02/2020 7:58 pm
Share: