Whole Body Vibration Forum

Can WBV help with n...

Notifications
Clear all

[Sticky] Can WBV help with neurological diseases such as MS, Parkinson's, Alzheimer's, and cerebral palsy ?

1 Posts
1 Users
0 Likes
Becky Chambers
(@becky)
Active Member Admin
Topic starter

Research using WBV for neurological diseases and conditions has so far been conflicted. While there have been good results for cerebral palsy patients, results from studies on Parkinson’s, multiple sclerosis, and stroke patients has been less clear (Fischer, 2019). 

I believe that a major reason for the consistently good results for cerebral palsy patients is that the subjects are primarily children (cerebral palsy is a brain disorder that develops before, during, or shortly after birth), and children respond very well to WBV because of greater neuroplasticity and higher energy. These qualities give children the ability to react positively to neurological interventions and a greater tolerance for stress. That children have the energy to rebound from stress more easily means that you can use more WBV with them and still have a positive outcome.

In the case of seniors, especially if they are also ill, you must use a gentler approach and the vibration should be very smooth and synchronized to foster a calm, meditative, and synchronized brain wave state. Much research has show these brain states to be linked to healing, creativity, and memory. On the other hand, the opposite state, a chaotic, fight or flight, desynchronized brain wave state has been linked to negative brain states, such as depression, anxiety, schizophrenia, and others.

I feel the conflicting results of the impact of WBV on Parkinson’s and MS patients may have more to do with the kinds of machines and the amount of WBV that was used in research studies. I have several patients with Parkinson’s, multiple sclerosis, or dementia who have reported significant improvements using my machines, which are designed to be very smooth and synchronized. Much of the medical research has been done with more powerful double motor machines (which I do not recommend because of their desynchronizing effect on the nervous system), or oscillating machines which create a wild chaotic movement, and too much vibration is used. 

What do you think? What has your experience been? Questions?

Fischer M, et al., “Long-Term Effects of Whole-Body
Vibration on Human Gait: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis,” Frontiers in
Neurology 10 (June 19, 2019): 627, doi:0.3389/fneur.2019.00627.

This topic was modified 4 years ago 3 times by Becky Chambers

Posted : 10/02/2020 3:40 pm
Share: